Our 1st Day Did Not Go Off Without A Hitch…

We’re almost a week into our trip now.  But I wanna take it back, way back, to the beginning of this week.  At least Monday feels like way back.  I guess that’s bound to happen when you’re waking up in one state and going to sleep in another every day.  I really can’t believe we haven’t even been traveling for a full week yet! SO much has happened already in such a short amount of time, it’s mind boggling really. But I digress…

SO back to Monday, our day of departure into this adventure.  Anyone that knows Aaron and I knows we’re ALWAYS late.  And I’d like to take this opportunity to personally apologize to all our family, friends and loved ones who have been affected by this tragic reality.  I’m sorry.  I wish it wasn’t so, we try, but no matter what, we are always late. So you won’t be surprised to learn the day of our departure – we were late. Let’s just say we grossly underestimated the amount of packing and preparation that goes into being “spontaneous” and leaving your life behind for 2 months. We planned to leave NO LATER than 10:00am to make the 6 hour drive to our 1st stop in Blountville, Tennessee at the lovely Rocky Top Campground.  That didn’t happen.  That didn’t even come close to happening.  We didn’t end up leaving until just after 2:00pm. I’d love to say that wasn’t a big deal but we learned (last minute) that we had to be at Rocky Top no later than 8:00pm to check in, and if we weren’t, we were shit outta luck.  So you do the math…. we had exactly enough time to make it there if we didn’t stop for gas, let the dogs out or run into traffic.  AND all those things happened.  Needless to say, we (Aaron) were barreling down the highway at a very fast clip, passing other cars left and right, in a 25 foot RV that neither of us had any experience driving.  This was not how I pictured the start of our trip!  In my mind I imagined a beautiful , relaxing drive, windows down, music up with nothing to do but daydream.  Instead it consisted of panic, consoling our 2 confused and slightly terrified puppies, and grasping at any handle I could find for dear life.

Aaron Driving

Aaron driving at the aforementioned “fast clip”

Alright, this next part i’m a little embarrassed to share, because I realize it wasn’t the smartest thing we’ve ever done but we promised to share the good, bad and the ugly.  What’s the point in having a blog if you’re going to keep out all the good and embarrassing bits 🙂  So, about an hour and a half outside of Blountville, TN our carbon monoxide detector inside the RV starts going off as we are speeding down the highway trying to make it to our site. Let me just say,  I realize we could have stayed for free in a Walmart parking lot, and looking back that probably would have been the safer option, but we wanted to make it to Rocky Top like planned dammit, and we were going to endanger our lives to do so!  So the detector is going off…I ended up figuring out how to turn if off and I proceeded to read the RV manual, which says when the detector goes off,  we need to pull over and air out the vehicle for at least a few hours and figure out what’s going on.  But, as I previously mentioned, we were making it to that campsite, even if it meant endangering our lives.  So we soldiered on.  About 30 minutes later it started going off again.  At this point, I was convinced I felt “ light-headed” and we might die at any second.  But you know, we had a decision to make, die or be on time and for once in our lives, we chose the latter.

Beauty in the breakdown

Beauty in the breakdown

We made it to Rocky Top Campground by the skin of our teeth, rolling in at exactly 7:59pm. No joke.  The gracious owners stayed late for us and helped get us all set up.  Exhausted and disheveled, but thankfully alive, we decided we should probably call the 1-800 number to figure out the carbon monoxide situation.  Turns out Queenie, our beloved English Bulldog, had her tush pushed up against the detector, which caused it to go off on multiple occasions.  We’re convinced she was expelling copious amounts of “deadly” gas from her nether regions.

Our little carbon monoxide culprit

Our little carbon monoxide culprit

So, as you can tell, our 1st day did not go off without a hitch.  There were many hitches….more than I would like to admit, but we’re learning and I feel beyond grateful to be having this amazing experience with the love of my life.



Rocky Top Charm

Queenie 2

Managed to fit some yoga/handstand practice in

Managed to fit some yoga/handstand practice in

FullSizeRender (3)

Rocky Top

11 Comments on “Our 1st Day Did Not Go Off Without A Hitch…

  1. Great Queenie story! I hope the rest of your adventures will be a little more easy going & that Queenie’s keeps her tush in check!

    Liked by 2 people

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: